We're removing Missions in June 2020. See here for more information.
Khan Academy’s mission is to offer a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. In order to move toward this mission, one of the things that the Khan Academy team provides is a system to track students’ learning progress in all courses, all devices, and in many languages. We call this the Mastery System.
Courses that have Mastery enabled show:
- The overall fraction of mastery points for that course that you have achieved.
- The percentage of the course that has you have mastered.
- Your course mastery level (see Mastery Levels below for more information).
Courses also have a Course Challenge Card at the bottom where you can take an assessment that covers a sampling of skills from the entire course.
The Unit page has several elements, which are labeled in the image above:
- The total Mastery Points available in this unit (for example, 1200 points on this unit--100 for each skill in the unit)
- A bar across the top that tracks your progress through Levels 1 - 6.
- A left-hand column that contains the Skill Summary, which enables you to see your progress on each skill.
- Under Practice, you can also see your progress from Familiar to Proficient to Mastered on each skill.
Practicing to Level Up in Skills and Mastery
When you start an exercise, quiz, unit test, or course challenge, you’ll see a card that quickly shares information about how many questions there will be and roughly how long it took for other students to answer them.
You’ll also see a card after you’ve finished an exercise, quiz, unit test, or course challenge. On the left, you’ll be able to quickly see how many skills you’ve leveled up or down on, as well as how many skills remained at the same level. On the right you can find a detailed description of each skill level change.
This card may also recommend lessons for you to take based on your performance in the questions.
Skill Levels in the new Mastery System
Each skill is worth a total of 100 Mastery Points. As you practice skills and answer questions in quizzes, unit tests, and course challenges, your level for that skill will go up (or down, if you miss any questions in the course).
Moving to Familiar will earn you 50 of the 100 points. Leveling up to Proficient will get you to 80 points. Become Mastered in a skill to collect the total 100 available Mastery Points.
Mastery Progress LevelsUnit mastery levels are based on the percentage completion in the unit.
- At Level 1 you have completed less than 25%
- Level 2 indicates between 25% and 49% completion.
- Level 3 indicates between 50% and 74% completion.
- Level 4 indicates between 75% and 89% completion.
- Level 5 (which is considered Mastery) indicates 90% to 99% completion.
- You reach Level 6 when you reach 100% completion!
Mastery is not easily earned, and that’s intentional. But putting in the work to achieve it will prove you’ve earned (and learned!) it. We hope those of you in the Mastery system will enjoy leveling up your skills and reaching 100% Course and Unit Mastery.