Energy points measure effort on Khan Academy. Learners earn more energy points for pushing the edge of their knowledge. They are not a measure of mastery or ability.
As of 9/22/2017, you get points for learning tasks:
- Bonus points for completing computer programming challenges
- 850 points for each video completed
- 100 points for videos already watched
For practice problems:
- 75 points if it's a practice task for something you're at needs practice in
- 5 points if it's a practice task that you are practiced or beyond in
- 50 points if it's a mastery task
- 100 points for a practice task
- 300 points for a mastery task
Badges are awarded for behaviors - some related to points, but not necessarily (e.g., mastery on exercises, speed, or other behaviors like building community or engaging with computer science).
As you get more energy points, new backgrounds will open up for you in your avatar editor in your profile.