Energy points measure effort on Khan Academy. Learners earn more energy points by pushing the edge of their knowledge. They are not a measure of mastery or ability.
As of 9/22/2017, you get points for learning tasks:
- Bonus points for completing computer programming challenges
- 850 points for each video completed
- 100 points for videos already watched
For practice problems:
- 75 points if it's a practice task for something you're at needs practice in
- 5 points if it's a practice task that you are practiced or beyond in
- 50 points if it's a mastery task
- 100 points for a practice task
- 300 points for a mastery task
Badges are awarded for behaviors -- earning points, achieving mastery on exercises, or other behaviors like building community or learning computer science.
There are five primary levels of badges. From the most common to the most rare, they are:
- Black Hole
There are also other special "Challenge Patches," which can be earned for completing certain course units, tutorials, or special activities.
Your avatar is a character that represents you in the Khan Academy community. Some avatars are available for you to choose as soon as you join Khan Academy. Many others become available as you earn energy points.
You can change your avatar by clicking on the image next to your name on your Profile page.
Many avatars have "evolutions" -- as you earn more energy points, more advanced versions of the avatar become available for you to choose.
Additionally, you will also unlock new background images for your avatar as you earn more energy points.