Adding a student means that student will have access to the email address attached to your Khan Academy account. If you have created a Khan Academy account with your private email and have a school email, you may wish to make an email change on your account.
Before you start:
- Make sure that you have created a class already
- Do your students have email addresses and/or Khan Academy accounts? If not, follow these instructions on creating KA accounts for students without emails.
- Go to your coach dashboard. You can do this by clicking on your username on the top right then "Your students" or "Add students."
- Click "Manage Class" next to the class in which you want to add students.
- Click the green "Add new students" button on the right.
- You will then see these options:
- Option 1: Add a current student that you are already 'coaching' (in other words, they are already your 'student' on KA, but are not in your class)
- Option 2: Send email invitations to your students who you are not already 'coaching' (If they do not have a KA account yet, they will be invited to sign up and add themselves into your class. If they already have a KA account, they will be invited to add themselves into your class.)
- Option 3: Share your class code with your students so that they can add themselves to your class
- Option 4: Create accounts for your students without emails or KA accounts - do this by following these instructions.
Option 1: If your students have Khan Academy accounts
There are a couple of ways to add your students to an existing class.
- First way (if your student already has added you as coach, but is not in your class): Type your student's email address within the form field (shown in the image above). They will be added after you press ENTER.
- Second way (if your student already has added you as coach, but is not in your class): On the left-hand side, select "All students," "Child accounts," or "Not in a class" in order to filter out which students you would like to add to your class.
Next to the student's username, click the checkbox. Then click "Add to" and select your class.
- Third way (your student doesn't need to have added you as a coach, they just need to have an account): Consider sharing your class code with your students. (See how to do this under Option 3 below).
Option 2: If your students have emails
In this option, you can send email invitations to your students.
- If they do not have a KA account yet, they will be invited to sign up and add themselves into your class.
- If they already have a KA account, they will be invited to add themselves into your class.
- Enter their email addresses, separated by commas, within this box.
- Once they receive your email (similar to the one below), they will have to click "Accept as coach" in order to accept the request.
Option 3: Share your class code so that your students can add you
This method is preferred by some teachers over the email method since they simply have to give students their Class Code and the students can add them quickly. Please note that the students will still be able to see your email address from their accounts.
- You'll notice that under your class name, there is a code. In this example it is "FC69QR".
- Give your students this code. We provide this handout for you to give to your students if you would like. They can follow these instructions provided on the handout:
(1) Log in with their KA account (if they do not have one, they can sign up)
(2) Visit khanacademy.org/coaches
(3) Within the "Add a coach" field, enter the class code.
Option 4: Create accounts for your students who do not have emails or KA accounts
Follow these instructions provided.