This article provides information on how to dub KA videos.
If you are applying to become an advocate (team leader) and need to provide us with demo videos please read the directions below. Remember to send the URLs for your demo videos to email@example.com with the headline "Advocate Demo Youtube Videos".
If you are a translator on a team and you would like guidance on how to dub, please also use the information below. Remember to send the videos to your advocate (team leader) for review.
Note: Before you read these instructions, think about whether dubbing or recreating is the best choice for your language and local audience.
Khan Academy allows its translation teams to decide whether dubbing or recreating videos is best for their viewers. Teams can dub some videos and recreate others, depending on the nature of the video. If a video contains a great deal of static English written text, for example, translators may decide that it is easier to recreate it from scratch.
How to Dub Khan Academy Videos
Volunteers can can dub with tools they feel most comfortable with! If you don't have experience dubbing, the information below describes one method using Camtasia studios to dub Khan Academy videos.
1) Download both video and subtitles at your language. Learn how to download videos here
2) Download a video editor. Camtasia studios is available as a 30 day trial for Mac and Windows.
3) Import video. Click “file” - “import media” and then choose the video you want to dub. Then you can drag the video to the timeline at the bottom. You can watch this video and see how to do that. (At this point, you may reduce the playback speed of both the video and subtitles to 90%, for example, to allow for the appropriate speaking pace for you language. This will also make it easier to include natural pauses make the narration sound more authentic.)
4) Narrate. Watch this video for further details and tips.
5) Export. Export as MP4, in no lower resolution than the original video.