To translate subtitles, Khan Academy translators use YouTube's Fan Captions tool. This allows you to take the existing English-language captions, and translate the text into your language. To subtitle, following these steps:
- Go to the Khan Academy Translation Portal, and select your language (Note: the first time you log into the Translation Portal, you may be asked to sign up on Crowdin, the online translation platform that we use.)
- Select Subtitles from the menu on the left
- Choose a subject, and then select a video on the right that needs to be translated. We recommend you start with Math since it is the subject that is required to get a Khan Academy website for your language (see goals and milestones here)
- This will bring you to YouTube’s Fan Captions tool. If there are no English captions to translate, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can start to translate now! For more functions, follow the directions displayed in this video starting at 0:22 to get started
6. Subtitles will automatically be published when they get enough reviews from YouTube users. See more info here.