There are a few different ways we calculate the time students spend on Khan Academy. One way we calculate it is by estimating Total Minutes based on content consumed (e.g., watching an 8-minute video), the other is an estimate of the Time Active on site (e.g., 10:30 am-11:15 am).
- Although these two metrics are calculated differently, they are both designed to approximate the time a student spends actively learning. That means they attempt to exclude time a student may be surfing the web in another window, or changing their profile settings, but not penalize the students who may take longer to work out a problem.
- For this reason, we encourage you to use these calculations as a benchmark, but to be generous if students say they have been on the site for longer. If you think either of these times is being calculated incorrectly, please let us know by submitting a Help request.
Note: This article does not cover time calculated for SAT Practice. Information about time calculations for SAT Practice can be found here.
Total Minutes is the sum of skills minutes, video minutes, and programming minutes. This, unfortunately, does not include time spent on articles or the LSAT/SAT test prep section (YET!).
- Skills minutes: approximate time spent practicing in missions, exercises in the library, or skill checks.
- Video minutes: approximate amount of time spent watching videos.
- Programming minutes: approximate time students are watching CS talk-throughs and working on programming challenges. This does not include time spent creating or playing one-off programs or games.
You can view these estimates by:
- Going to your Coach dashboard.
- Selecting a class.
- Clicking Progress.
- Clicking Student.
- Selecting an individual student, and viewing their individual Activity.
Under the clock icon on the left side of the screen, you can see the total time spent in the activity period. Your student each have a view of this same data (that also shows their energy points and badges earned) in the progress section of their profile.
Time Active is designed to estimate the amount of time your students were active on Khan Academy; in other words, the time spent since they access their Khan Academy account and actively browse through the website (e.g., 10:30 am-11:15 am).
You can find this view by:
- Going to your Coach dashboard
- Selecting a class.
- Clicking the Activity tab.
This view approximates during what times your students were actively learning across all subjects on Khan Academy. In an effort to avoid students earning credit while they are surfing the web in another window, this tracker will time out after 10 minutes of inactivity. Your students do not have this view on their learner profile.
Discrepancies Between Measures
It is possible that you'll notice a discrepancy between a student's Total Minutes and Time Active. One explanation could be that the student is working on multiple exercises during the same timeframe. If a student spends 15 minutes working but is going back and forth between five different exercises during those 15 minutes, the Total Minutes that shows on the Coach dashboard may show 15 minutes for each exercise (75 minutes), while the Activity Time shows 15 minutes.
For more information on Khan Academy’s Coach and Student Reports, check out the resources on Khan Academy, particularly How to use the Progress tab and How to use the Activity tab, and search our Help Center.